When you watch a horror movie, and someone particularly ditzy goes out to ask “Who’s there?”, and then 100% of the time they get killed by someone lurking in the shadows or corners. Between laughing out loud over this, and wincing a little with fright you don’t really get settled with a sense of fear. It doesn’t lodge itself in you creeping up at the moments you are alone. It is why even today Edgar Allen Poe’s work ranks amongst the most frightened we will ever be from something because the words close in on you in the most insidious manner. It is why Hannibal Lector was more demonic with each passing sentence. Words stick with you when jump scares don’t. They revolve in your head and you can’t shake them off. They bring you to a reality of something very dark living inside of you.
Hollywood movies are full of dialogues that bring you to the steely truth of horror, from an obnoxious mother who chastises her daughter to a mentally imbalanced and delusional man on a rampage to kill his family to a cloaked anonymous who will ask you questions and play a game and then kill you. Here are some of the very best dialogues that get you all shakin’ in your boots!
1. They’re all gonna laugh at you – Carrie
2. It’s Alive! It’s Alive! – Frankenstein
3. When there is no room left in hell, the dead will walk the earth – Dawn of the Dead
4. A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti – Silence of The Lambs
5. Do you like scary movies – Scream
6. They’re Heeeeere – Poltergeist
7. We all go a little mad sometimes – Pyshco
8. Here’s Johnyyy – The Shining
9. What an excellent day for an exorcism – The Exorcist
10. I see dead people – Sixth Sense